Monday, July 4, 2011

The Many Versions of Sick People

You know the many different ways that people can annoy you? I would like you to look at the various ways that you judge other people as the fact that you are really assessing their sickness level.

I’m not asking you to stop judging people. I think our judgement is a normal part of the way that our minds work, at least it is the way my mind works. What I would like to ask you to do is to realize that one of the things that you are judging in another person is their sickness level.

I common judgement that I hear when people are talking about sick people is that they are lazy. This is true, sick people are lazy. I know that they are lazy because I have been one of them. When I was sick it was like I was walking around in a fog. Not only couldn’t I figure out where I was going, I didn’t even have the energy to try and get there.

To make things easy for ourselves we often want to ascribe these traits that we are observing to a character defect in the person. Maybe we call that laziness or maybe if there is something else going on we give it a different name. I experienced this when I was sick also.

The unique perspective that I have in practice is that these defects in character seems to disappear when a case is properly treated. One of these cases that I treated was an 11 year old boy that was beginning to be called lazy by his teachers. His parents were sharp enough to not accept that at face value but even they would be frustrated by his resistance to getting out of bed in the morning.

On testing we found the following results when we tested adrenal function.

The red line shows where the child is, the green line shows where normal function of the adrenal glands would be. If you could see the whole chart you would see that he is at one third of the adrenal function that he should have.


When we gave the natural medicines needed the problem was corrected. I can only imagine how the child’s life was changed. Maybe a year that ended in grades of A’s and B’s would have instead ended in C’s and D’s. Doesn’t this affect the course of a persons life? Are some of the “lazy” people that you see around you today simply people that have chronic adrenal fatigue like this 11 year old?

Sometimes people resist this way of looking at people. The way I describe the way that I look at people now is what I call “causative”. I always ask myself the question, “what is causing this?” When I debate this with people they will say what about the role of personal responsibility? An example of this would be a case where a child was suspended for arguing with teachers. Isn’t he responsible for his own self control? Here is the result of his testing.


These results are the urine portion of the brain chemistry testing. It this child responsible for his behavior? This child’s brain is in complete fight or flight mode. The control system that we are asking to regulate his behavior is the exact system that is out of balance.

I don’t think the right question is whether the child is responsible or not. It doesn’t help me get a change in the case. Changes are made by addressing the causes in a case. This boy was treated and actually received a class leadership award at the end of the year.

How many people that we see that are having various struggles that activate our judgement system are actually suffering from conditions with a cause. I think this is true for everyone that activates our judgement system. What your are sensing when you pick this up from another person is exactly what I look at in practice when I treat a case.

Maybe you can’t do anything for the person that cuts you off in traffic, but we can listen to that inner diagnostic voice that tells us that there is something out of balance in our friends or family. By recognizing that we are seeing a syndrome that is real, with a real cause. Once you do that you can consider some testing or another way if you prefer to start correcting the underlying imbalances. By doing this we can change the course of a persons life. This can be true for our parents as well as our kids, and even in ourselves.